Sunday, May 1, 2016

Birthday boy, Emulsions, and Tasty Acids and Bases

The last two weeks I feel like I've got more on track with school. Although now I feel like I'm running until summer.

I will be going to Florida for a short trip in a couple of weeks. Then I will be going to Arizona in the beginning of June for a complete educational assessment for Hyrum. I will also get tested to become a Barton Dyslexic tutor and I will also get my dyslexic screening certificate.

And of course we're MOVING, or at least there's a good chance of that.

In other words, I need to get done with school ASAP. No problem j/k.  STRESS!!! Finish our math books? Finish ancient history? Whew. Okay, I can do this!

We have been learning quite a bit about medieval times. We went to the lake to make sand castles as our activity, but no one was that interested, and the results were less than amazing


We also have been studying ancient Africa, which is mainly stuff about oral traditions since they didn't keep very many written records. We were supposed to make puppets to tell african stories with, but my kids wanted to make stuffies instead.


We also touched on info about Genghis Khan, but I think I might have to talk about him a bit more for there to be any lasting impression.

As far as science goes, last week we talked about emulsions and we finished up our crystals.  I had the kids make crystals out of borax which worked REALLY well, but they ended up looking EXACTLY like our sugar crystal candy that was ready for them to eat that week. Thankfully we had no incidents of kids trying to eat the borax!!!

Last time I taught about emulsions and colloids, none of the kids had any clue what I was talking about by the end, so I had a few youtube videos do my teaching for me this go around, and we were all happier and smarter for the change ;)

We made fun glue art as one of our experiments.


This week's science was pretty much the lamest science of the year. It was basically "Acids are sour, here's a lemon. Basis are bitter, here's a tums."

Well, maybe not that bad, but I didn't mind the relaxed lesson myself.


Of course, perhaps one reason I was so relaxed was I had already done a huge social event that week in the form of Daniel's BIRTHDAY!  He's 7 already! He wanted a minion party, and I got out my computer and we pinterested out a pretty successful incredible Minion party!









So every week my boys go to robotics where they learn programming as well. This is a definite highlight of their week. They love it SO much. Cayleen sent me pictures to show record their efforts. THANK YOU CAYLEEN!!!








And last but not least, we went to the Family History Fair that the town put on. It was really impressive. Especially since it was put on by our tiny town. I was so amazed at all the work and accomplishment. And check out my little men who look like they came straight out of the 1900s:



No comments:

Post a Comment